Thank you for considering First United Methodist Church of Coral Gables for your wedding! This truly will be one of the most memorable days of your life, and we will do our part to make it very special. Below you will find important information regarding the hosting of your wedding at our facility.
Our Sanctuary transcends the modern era and walks us into the Old World charm of a classically designed basilica in the Spanish Mediterranean style. The main entrance features monumental wooden arches replicated from Spanish Moors and features detailed stained-glass windows in the upper level. The center aisle is 90 feet long and leads up to the front of the Sanctuary looked over by our grand pipe organ, one of the largest in Miami.
The Church Ceremony
One of the loveliest and most meaningful occasions in the lives of a couple, is their wedding. We consider the wedding ceremony to be a sacred experience, blessed by our Lord Jesus Christ. The officiating Minister and our Wedding Coordinator will be delighted to work with you to assure that your wedding is as beautiful as you dreamt it would be. We do require that a minister from First United Methodist Church of Coral Gables is always involved in the ceremony as we do not rent out our facilities to independent ministers to perform a wedding.
Ceremonies may be performed in English, Spanish, or both.
Click here to see the facilities we offer for your wedding.
Who is Eligible
Membership is not required to be married at First UMC Coral Gables. You will be required to meet with the officiating minister before your wedding date to go over the wedding ceremony and for the minister to get to know you both.
Premarital Counseling Sessions
As an investment in the success of your marriage, we require 3 premarital counseling sessions conducted through our Care Counseling Ministry. The cost of the meetings is included in the wedding fee. The results for you include enhanced communication skills and heightened awareness of differences and similarities in your expectations of marriage and each other.
Fees & Costs
The standard fees and costs for a wedding at First United Methodist Church of Coral Gables are as follows:
- $2,500 total wedding cost for our historic Sanctuary
- $1,800 total wedding cost for our more intimate and charming Chapel
As part of the total cost, we are proud to provide the following:
- One (1) hour for the rehearsal prior to the wedding ceremony;
- Two and a half hours (2 ½) from start to finish for the wedding ceremony;
- The wedding fee also includes: the Church, Wedding Coordinator, Officiating Minister, Organist, Sound Tech, Custodian and Utilities;
- Premarital Counseling (three required premarital counseling sessions) prior to ceremony;
- Unity Candle Stand (bride will be responsible for the 2 tapers (14"-16" inches or taller) and the center pillar candle;
- Wedding Kneeling Bench;
- Two (2) white columns for the wedding bouquets;
- A beautiful Bridal Room and a Groom’s Room on the day of the ceremony.
- Soloists or instrumentals (with coordination completed through the Wedding Coordinator).
In deep appreciation for their vast contributions to our church family, community and beyond, we offer the following discounts. Please direct any inquiries directly to the Wedding Coordinator.
- Active church family member discount
- Members of the military, police, firefighters, EMT and teachers residing in and/or serving Coral Gables with corresponding identification. This fee reduction includes the donation of services by our Pastor and Director of Music/Organist, in gratitude for dedicated service and devotion to our country and community.
Decorations and Flowers
The church can be made as festive and beautiful as possible. The florist will be responsible for the set-up, removal, and cleanup of all decorations from the Sanctuary after the wedding ceremony. The church will be opened one hour before the scheduled wedding time to allow the florist to set up decorations.
Please note the following items are NOT permitted in the Sanctuary:
- Candles in the aisles
- Aisle runner
- Flower petals (fresh or silk) dropped on the center aisle of the Sanctuary
- Rice, bird seeds and bubbles
- Tacks, nails, screws or other sharp objects used for fastening on the pews, columns or walls.
Photography and Videography
Photography and videography is permitted before, during, and after the wedding ceremony, however we do have guidelines that need to be adhered to. The Wedding Coordinator will provide you with more detailed information, but these are the main guidelines:
- No flash photography (for guests and professionals alike) or extra lighting for video may be used during the ceremony.
- Photos of the families and wedding court may be taken after the ceremony in the altar area within the remaining scheduled time.
- The photographer and videographer are to be approved by the Wedding Coordinator in advance of the wedding.
Music is a classic element in the wedding ceremony. All musical arrangements need to be made by contacting the Director of Music/ Organist. He will be in charge of all the music for the ceremony and will secure a soloist and/or instrumentalists if you so desire. There will be an extra charge for other musicians. Other instruments to consider are the harp, strings, brass, or other concert instruments. If you know that you would like to secure any of these offerings, the sooner the better.
Because of the solemnity of the ceremony, we do not allow secular music to be played and all musical needs are to be approved by the Director of Music/Organist.
All musicians will arrive 45 minutes before the wedding ceremony is scheduled to begin. The music may begin 10-15 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
Please note that the organist does not attend the wedding rehearsal. If he needs to be present for any rehearsals other than the day of the wedding, an additional fee will be charged.
The Music Ministry at First United Methodist Church of Coral Gables is dedicated to serving you on your very special day. Please do not hesitate to contact our Wedding Coordinator as questions come to mind.
Some popular wedding songs are:
- Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring by Bach
- Cannon in D by Pachelbel
- Trumpet Voluntary by Clarke
- Trumpet Tune by Purcell
- Trumpet Tune by David Johnson
- Prelude To A Te Deum by Charpentier
If you have any questions which are not been covered, our Wedding Coordinator, Ashley Schild, will be happy to speak with you at (305) 445-2578, ext. 119, or firstname.lastname@example.org.